Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tuesday, Dec. 22. Today wasn't as busy as some have been - we got through at the hospital about 1:30. Tommy didn't have any appointments today so he came picked us up and we went out to eat lunch. Then we did some driving around in the afternoon, I picked up a gift card, then we went to Olive Garden for supper and then I went to the grocery store. I will probably go to bed early as we have to be at the hospital at 7a.m. - that means getting on the 6:06 bus. Roy's shoulder hurt him quite a bit last night, so about midnight he got up and sat in the recliner and slept the rest of the night. I made him take some pain pills and covered him up so he could sleep. He did pretty good. He got up at 5 and took some more pills. He hasn't taken any today until just now but he says it is sore - and it is bound to be as he had an incision and some stitches.

The first thing today he had a pulmonary breathing test and then we went to see an internal medicine doctor that specializes in pulmonary diseases. He said that Roy's chest x-ray showed he had some spots on the left lung but that they looked old and looked calcified. He wants Roy to contact KU Med and have them send the reports on the chest xrays they had previously taken just to make sure the spots were old. He also thought Roy had been a smoker because of the chest xray and because of the medicines he takes for breathing. But after talking and the doctor doint a little more checking, he said Roy's lung problems were strictly asthma and bronchitis related. His lungs work fine but it is the air ways between the lungs that constricts. So the doctor sent us back over to the pulmonary doctors for a 6 minute hall walk where they monitor his oxygen and heart. So the nurse took Roy in a wheelchair out in the hall, took his heart rate, had him hooked up to a monitor and had him walk up and down the hall for 6 minutes. Then she sat him back down and checked his oxygen and heart again. After the walk his oxygen level was 95% and his blood pressure was really good. The nurse said that everyone would like to have these numbers.

So tomorrow, he has blood work done at two different places, and then we have other appointments and a meeting with the SCT doctor. Our last appointment is at 3:30 so it will be 5 or so before we get home.

So right now, it sounds as if everything is going as it should.


  1. Sounds like you'll both be in for another long day tomorrow. Call us if you get bored.

  2. I know it's hard waiting for treatment to begin, but your entire family will continue in our thoughts and prayers.